Monday, August 24, 2009

Derbyshire encounters Gottfried

I have always found the “paleocon”/”neocon” controversy depressing and counterproductive. I know, like, and respect people on both sides of the divide. The “paleocon” and “neocon” labels seem to me mostly unhelpful, covering over many important differences between thinkers within each purported camp and disguising important similarities between thinkers in the opposed camps. By now they serve as little more than a kind of fossilized shorthand for two sets of caricatures, retarding rather than fostering serious thought about conservatism. (I have had both labels applied to me, which is some small evidence of how useless they are.)

How refreshing, then, to see a positive review of a “paleocon” author in a “neocon” outlet – to wit, John Derbyshire’s review of Paul Gottfried’s Encounters over at National Review Online. (Though this sort of thing is actually not as unusual as one might suppose. As Derbyshire points out, John Lukacs often gets treated well in “neocon” outlets. See e.g. this review by Jonah Goldberg of Lukacs’s Democracy and Populism.) And the feeling is mutual, since, as Derbyshire notes, “for a book written by a representative of the losing side in the conservative wars, Encounters is wonderfully free of rancor.” I can testify to the truth of this judgment, having found Gottfried’s book a very enjoyable piece of summer reading.

Not that Gottfried has laid down his arms. It’s just that he is – in his treatment of such topics as Richard Nixon’s legacy, say, or Pat Buchanan’s attitudes toward Israel – “nuanced,” as John Kerry might say. Gottfried is always interesting even when one disagrees with him.

Unfortunately, Gottfried left this reader dissatisfied on one point. What was the recipe of that drink Nixon served him, and which effectively knocked him out for the rest of that dinner party? Inquiring right-wing boozers want to know…

3 comments:

  1. I stand second to no man in my admiration for John Derbyshire. I love Derb for the same reason that I pay grudging respect to Patrick J. Buchanan: when either man makes a statement, you know both that he means it, and that he doesn't give a rat's ass how it affects your opinion of him.
    Funny thing, though--when I point my left-seeking cursor at "Beautiful Losers" and click, I get this book.
    Can this be another pernicious effect of the "Jew Thing?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed, for some reason I'm thinking Nixon was a bourbon man. He might have snuck Gottfried a double Manhattan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone like me who is borderline ADD, to get through a whole book from cover to cover must signify that the book is really riveting and focussed on my own interests. And so it was with "Encounters". I too was very edified to see Dr. Gottfried's serene recollection of both intellectual, and professional, friends and foes.

    ReplyDelete