Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer reading

Several substantive new posts are in the works, but I’m momentarily preoccupied meeting some looming deadlines. In the meantime, here are some philosophical posts worth checking out: Michael Liccione, my new What’s Wrong with the World co-blogger, on ID theory. Lee Faber on MacIntyre on Scotus. Incompatible novel takes on Hume on causation from Bill Vallicella and James Chastek. (James is responding to my recent post on Hume. I plan to reply to him as soon as I get a chance.)

UPDATE 7/8: Some useful reading recommendations from Lydia McGrew vis-à-vis the historical reliability of the New Testament. The books are mostly older ones, and in theology and philosophy, older usually means better. (In that connection, I plan soon to post a series of Neo-Scholastic reading recommendations, in belated response to a reader’s request made some time back. Stay tuned.)

6 comments:

  1. Let me guess, Belmont Abby conference and marking the papers of the guys and girls who had to re-sit exams becasue they thought that taking a girl out on a date and hiring a call girl were the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's part of it, Jack. Or at least, the first thing you mentioned is part of it -- re: the second, I'm glad you made it at least to p. 15 of TLS! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up the bulk of my summer reading today, including Eleonore Stump's 580 page 'Aquinas' (the study of which will hold me over until just before Ed's new book on Aquinas comes out). Has anyone read Stump's book yet? I know her by reputation alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric,

    Haven't read the book you're talking about, but I've heard she's done some great work on the problem of evil though.

    Speaking of Ed's book on Aquinas, I seem to recall a certain author *ahem* telling his readers that he would give us the table of contents *cough cough* so that we might have some idea of what we're in for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...if he has time, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stump's book is excellent, Eric. Re: my own book, Aaron, the person in question tells me he'll be posting that soon.

    ReplyDelete